Welcoming Dear Daughter | My Birth Story

Processed with VSCO with b1 preset

Hello Friends!

Wow! It’s been forever since I did a blog post, and as you can tell by the title of today’s post I am sure you know why I haven’t been blogging for more than 2 months. Let’s just say that a lot had happened and it all went down fast! Haha! I’ve been thinking of sharing my birth story here on the blog for awhile, since it is something really personal. I know some women don’t want to talk about it, and some others don’t mind sharing it and I don’t mind it. So here’s how it went since it’s still pretty fresh in my memory….

I had a very healthy pregnancy through out those 9 months, but I knew in the back of my head and a feeling that I would give birth early. My mom and my sister did gave birth a few weeks earlier than their due date, so I thought that I was probably gonna be as well. During the last few weeks of pregnancy was definitely the toughest because I was huge and uncomfortable, and had anxiety and nervous feeling from the thought of bringing another human into the world. I was also feeling rather excited to meet our peanut. During my 35 weeks checkup, the doctor said that I was already 1cm dilated, and when she told me that I knew that feeling I had about giving birth early was right. Days turned to weeks and during my 38 weeks checkup, I didn’t show any improvement so my doctor asked me if I wanted her to “strip the membrane” so it would make my labor process faster, and I said yes. I didn’t know what it was at first and started to feel scared if this would hurt the baby, but then again why would she suggest it if it’s going to hurt the babe that’s why I just went with it. The process may or may not make me go into labor within 24 hours, or sometimes it could be a few days or a couple weeks. Well, it didn’t do anything for me because the next day I went out to have lunch with a girlfriend and everything felt normal and fine. At this point, it’s pretty much a waiting game for us and I jokingly told my husband we’re gonna have the baby on Sunday.

Saturday, 23 September

When I woke up that morning, I felt really weak and funny feeling. I noticed I was bleeding a little too from when the doctor stripped the membrane. I panicked at first because I was not sure if that’s supposed to happen. I started googling it and read forums about what I’m having and some said that this “bloody show” is one of the signs of labor (TMI I know). I told my husband what was going on and we decided to stay home that day just incase I did go to labor. I spent that afternoon resting and watching Netflix when I started feeling period like cramps. They were not painful, but just uncomfortable and then it hit me that those were contractions. It was so mild and only lasted a few seconds each time that I wasn’t worried. I just went about my day with those cramps until it was time to go to bed that those period like cramps started to feel stronger and started hurting. I thought that we might have to rush to the hospital in the middle of the night, but thank god we didn’t need to.

Sunday, 24 September

I turned 39 weeks pregnant that day, and I remember waking up really early because I had those painful contractions again. I told myself that today is going to be the day, as I lay in bed holding my belly whenever one came. It was still quite tolerable and the contractions lasted a few seconds and then I was perfectly fine. At around 10am is when I usually had breakfast, but I wasn’t hungry which is strange, because I would be starving by then, but I forced myself to eat anyway because if I did go to labor at that moment, I know I won’t be allowed to eat. At noon, my contractions got stronger and so painful that I had to stop whatever I was doing and just breathe. Standing up didn’t work for me, so I got down on all fours and rocked back and forth, concentrating on my breathing till the contractions go away. The contractions kept coming every 20 to 30 minutes at first, and then will completely go away for a few hours and then it comes back again. This time, I knew that those contractions were the real deal. We stayed at home as long as we could before going to the hospital. I decided to vacuum the entire house to distract myself, while stopping in between whenever the contractions hit.

By 4:30 pm that afternoon, my contractions were getting stronger and happened every 10 to 15 minutes, and it lasted 30 seconds to a minute. We still wanted to waited a bit longer before we left for the hospital. 2 hours later, when my contractions were one and a half to two minutes every 5 to 6 minutes, it’s time to go to the hospital. Before I left though, I did take a shower and wash my hair because I knew that I won’t have time to do all of that for a couple days when the baby arrive.

We reached the hospital at about seven in the evening. We didn’t even eat dinner and I was really hungry despite being in pain. I got checked in and the nurse checked me to see where I was at, and I was only 3 to 4 cm dilated. When they told me that, I knew that it’s going to be a long time before anything happen. I already decided that I was going to get an epidural, but I waited as long as I could before getting one. Maybe because I wanted to see how strong I am to endure those contractions. I even walked the hallway a few times to “ease” the pain, and tried to induced labor naturally, but in the end I gave up and asked for the epidural anyway. Because I was progressing really slowly and knew that it’s going to be awhile before the baby gets here, the hubs and I managed to catch up on some sleep. Who knows when will our next real sleep be. 😉


Monday, 25 September

At about 4am, the nurse came in to checked my progress again and I was only at 5cm. At this point the doctor came in and broke my water, but even then I wasn’t dilating enough. I was quite disappointed that I was progressing so so slowly. I was anxious to meet my girl and thought that I would already be meeting her. The nurse kept checking me every 2 hours to see how I was progressing, and at about 8 or 9am, they gave me pitocin to speed things up a bit. An hour later, I started to show some progress but that’s still not enough and they had to increased the dose. As I was just laying there waiting, I started to feel a lot of pressure down there. I even joked with my husband that maybe her head’s already out. Haha! It’s not painful (thank you epidural), but it felt like the baby is finally going to make an exit.

At around noon-ish, they checked me again and the nurse said that it’s almost go time. She could feel the baby’s head, and told me that I could start pushing. Pushing a baby out of you is hard, and tiring too especially since I didn’t have any food the night before and I was just chewing on ice chips in between pushes. After an hour and 45 minutes of pushing, we finally met our little bundle of joy.


I still can’t believe that I gave birth to this beautiful tiny human. She is such a good baby and I can’t imagine how life was like without her. I kept thinking how grateful I am that she was born without any complications and that everything is good and that she is healthy.

Natasha, you are more than we ever expected and better than we ever imagined! ❤




One Reply to “Welcoming Dear Daughter | My Birth Story”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s